Tree Trimmers and Pruners
Also Known as: Groundsperson, Arborist, Greenskeeper, Groundsworker, Tree Care Specialist, Tree Worker
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Using sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques, cut away dead or excess branches from trees or shrubs to maintain right-of-way for roads, sidewalks, or utilities, or to improve appearance, health, and value of tree. Prune or treat trees or shrubs using handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners. Works off the ground in the tree canopy and may use truck-mounted lifts.
Top Skills for this Job
- Operation and Control
- Operation Monitoring
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
Top Tasks for this Job
- Supervise others engaged in tree trimming work and train lower-level employees.
- Operate boom trucks, loaders, stump chippers, brush chippers, tractors, power saws, trucks, sprayers, and other equipment and tools.
- Climb trees, using climbing hooks and belts, or climb ladders to gain access to work areas.
- Clean, sharpen, and lubricate tools and equipment.
- Cut away dead and excess branches from trees, or clear branches around power lines, using climbing equipment or buckets of extended truck booms, or chainsaws, hooks, handsaws, shears, and clippers.
- Trim, top, and reshape trees to achieve attractive shapes or to remove low-hanging branches.
- Prune, cut down, fertilize, and spray trees as directed by tree surgeons.
- Hoist tools and equipment to tree trimmers, and lower branches with ropes or block and tackle.
- Operate shredding and chipping equipment, and feed limbs and brush into the machines.
- Load debris and refuse onto trucks and haul it away for disposal.
- Inspect trees to determine if they have diseases or pest problems.
- Cable, brace, tie, bolt, stake, and guy trees and branches to provide support.
- Collect debris and refuse from tree trimming and removal operations into piles, using shovels, rakes or other tools.
- Provide information to the public regarding trees, such as advice on tree care.
- Clear sites, streets, and grounds of woody and herbaceous materials, such as tree stumps and fallen trees and limbs.
- Remove broken limbs from wires, using hooked extension poles.
- Trim jagged stumps, using saws or pruning shears.
- Transplant and remove trees and shrubs, and prepare trees for moving.
Top Education for this Job
- Customer and Personal Service
- Public Safety and Security
- English Language
- Education and Training
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: