Network and Computer Systems Administrators
Also Known as: Systems Administrator, IT Network Administrator, Network System Administrator, Technical Network Administrator
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Install, configure, and support an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and may perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. May monitor and test Web site performance to ensure Web sites operate correctly and without interruption. May assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software. May supervise computer user support specialists and computer network support specialists. May administer network security measures.
Top Skills for this Job
- Reading Comprehension
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Critical Thinking
- Systems Analysis
- Systems Evaluation
- Complex Problem Solving
- Active Listening
Top Tasks for this Job
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Train people in computer system use.
- Load computer tapes and disks, and install software and printer paper or forms.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Analyze equipment performance records to determine the need for repair or replacement.
- Maintain logs related to network functions, as well as maintenance and repair records.
- Coordinate with vendors and with company personnel to facilitate purchases.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain email applications or virus protection software.
Top Education for this Job
- Computers and Electronics
- English Language
- Customer and Personal Service
- Engineering and Technology
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: