Also Known as: Construction Worker, General Laborer, Construction Field Worker, Construction Technician, Skilled Laborer, Construction Crew Member
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble, debris and other waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
Top Skills for this Job
- Active Listening
Top Tasks for this Job
- Clean or prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, or compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, or rakes.
- Measure, mark, or record openings or distances to layout areas where construction work will be performed.
- Load, unload, or identify building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications.
- Erect or dismantle scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, or other temporary structures.
- Position or dismantle forms for pouring concrete, using saws, hammers, nails, or bolts.
- Lubricate, clean, or repair machinery, equipment, or tools.
- Operate jackhammers or drills to break up concrete or pavement.
- Smooth or finish freshly poured cement or concrete, using floats, trowels, screeds, or powered cement finishing tools.
- Provide assistance to craft workers, such as carpenters, plasterers, or masons.
- Tend pumps, compressors, or generators to provide power for tools, machinery, or equipment or to heat or move materials, such as asphalt.
- Mix, pour, or spread concrete, using portable cement mixers.
Top Education for this Job
- Building and Construction
- Administration and Management
- Public Safety and Security
- Customer and Personal Service
- Education and Training
- English Language
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: