Construction and Building Inspectors
Also Known as: Field Inspector, Inspector, Code Inspector, Safety Inspector
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Inspect structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
Top Skills for this Job
- Reading Comprehension
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
- Quality Control Analysis
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Active Learning
Top Tasks for this Job
- Inspect bridges, dams, highways, buildings, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewers, heating systems, or foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety, or conformance to specifications and codes.
- Maintain daily logs and supplement inspection records with photographs.
- Review and interpret plans, blueprints, site layouts, specifications, or construction methods to ensure compliance to legal requirements and safety regulations.
- Inspect and monitor construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, or specifications.
- Measure dimensions and verify level, alignment, or elevation of structures or fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Monitor installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Train, direct, or supervise other construction inspectors.
- Evaluate project details to ensure adherence to environmental regulations.
- Inspect facilities or installations to determine their environmental impact.
- Monitor construction activities to ensure that environmental regulations are not violated.
- Conduct inspections, using survey instruments, metering devices, tape measures, or test equipment.
- Confer with owners, violators, or authorities to explain regulations or recommend remedial actions.
Top Education for this Job
- Building and Construction
- English Language
- Customer and Personal Service
- Engineering and Technology
- Law and Government
- Public Safety and Security
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: