Computer User Support Specialists
Also Known as: IT User Support Specialist, Technical Support Specialist, IT Support Specialist, User Support Technician, Desktop Support Specialist
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Provide technical assistance to computer users. Answer questions or resolve computer problems for clients in person, or via telephone or electronically. May provide assistance concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including printing, installation, word processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
Top Skills for this Job
- Reading Comprehension
- Active Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Active Learning
- Systems Analysis
Top Tasks for this Job
- Answer user inquiries regarding computer software or hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Enter commands and observe system functioning to verify correct operations and detect errors.
- Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Oversee the daily performance of computer systems.
- Set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cables, operating systems, or appropriate software.
- Maintain records of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial actions taken, or installation activities.
- Read technical manuals, confer with users, or conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems or to provide technical assistance and support.
- Confer with staff, users, and management to establish requirements for new systems or modifications.
- Develop training materials and procedures, or train users in the proper use of hardware or software.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or technicians for service.
- Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and recommend improvements or upgrades.
Top Education for this Job
- Computers and Electronics
- Customer and Personal Service
- English Language
- Engineering and Technology
- Public Safety and Security
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: