Computer Network Support Specialists
Also Known as: IT Network & Support Specialist, IT Security Operations Specialist, Network Development Support Specialist, Network Threat Support Specialist, Network Field Support Specialist
Average Earnings Over Time
Salaries may vary per region
Analyze, test, troubleshoot, and evaluate existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Perform network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
Top Skills for this Job
- Critical Thinking
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Active Learning
- Complex Problem Solving
- Systems Analysis
Top Tasks for this Job
- Analyze network data to determine network usage, disk space availability, or server function.
- Configure and define parameters for installation or testing of local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), hubs, routers, switches, controllers, multiplexers, or related networking equipment.
- Configure security settings or access permissions for groups or individuals.
- Configure wide area network (WAN) or local area network (LAN) routers or related equipment.
- Document network support activities.
- Evaluate local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) performance data to ensure sufficient availability or speed, to identify network problems, or for disaster recovery purposes.
- Identify the causes of networking problems, using diagnostic testing software and equipment.
- Install and configure wireless networking equipment.
- Install network software, including security or firewall software.
- Install new hardware or software systems or components, ensuring integration with existing network systems.
- Install or repair network cables, including fiber optic cables.
- Perform routine maintenance or standard repairs to networking components or equipment.
- Test computer software or hardware, using standard diagnostic testing equipment and procedures.
- Troubleshoot network or connectivity problems for users or user groups.
- Analyze and report computer network security breaches or attempted breaches.
- Back up network data.
- Create or revise user instructions, procedures, or manuals.
- Create or update technical documentation for network installations or changes to existing installations.
- Document help desk requests and resolutions.
- Maintain logs of network activity.
- Monitor industry websites or publications for information about patches, releases, viruses, or potential problem identification.
- Provide telephone support related to networking or connectivity issues.
- Research hardware or software products to meet technical networking or security needs.
- Run monthly network reports.
- Test repaired items to ensure proper operation.
- Train users in procedures related to network applications software or related systems.
Top Education for this Job
- Computers and Electronics
- Customer and Personal Service
- Engineering and Technology
- English Language
- Administration and Management
Schools near you:
Find This Job
Get Some Help
Career Guides near you: